Diesel Driver Experience Courses
Trainee at the controls of a Class 73
2017 sees the continuation of Diesel Driving Experience Courses between Winchcombe and Cheltenham Racecourse at the GWSR, offering seven miles of driving to each participant.
Our popular fleet of powerful main line diesel locomotives includes Class 26, Class 45, Class 47 and the ever popular Class 37. There is also the opportunity to drive the Class 117 or 122 DMU between Winchcombe and Cheltenham or vice versa.
Each course will take eight participants, who will each be able to drive between Winchcombe and Cheltenham Racecourse or vice versa. On your course you will be hauling a train of up to seven Mk I carriages (except for the Class 117/122 DMU).
Each participant can be accompanied by up to two guests at £10 each who may travel in the brake coach during the course.
Please note that participants must be over 18 and all guests must be over the age of 16
Course fee £275.00 per person.
The course includes:
- Welcome tea/coffee and Danish pastry on arrival at Winchcombe for participants and guests
- Explanation of the day's events and safety briefing
- Four round trips between Winchcombe and Cheltenham, a total of 56 miles, during which you will drive your diesel locomotive or DMU for seven miles, under expert supervision. You will also act as second man for a further seven miles.
- Free year's membership of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway for the participant, including member's benefits (worth up to £20)
- Free GWSR Guide Book
- Commemorative certificate signed by your driver
- You may bring up to two guests (over 16) at a nominal price of £10 each, who may travel on the train all day
|Course Date||Motive Power|
|Friday 7th April||Class 26|
|Friday 20th October||Class 117/122 DMU|
Trainees waiting their turn to experience the Class 37
Booking and Terms & Conditions
Your tickets will be sent to you in the post shortly after you book. No discounts will be given on footplate experience courses. Diesel footplate courses need to be fully booked in order to run.
We reserve the right for operational reasons to vary the dates of these experiences and, should this become necessary, we will contact you by phone or e-mail. If we have no suitable alternative dates we will refund your payment in full. We also reserve the right to replace the advertised locomotive with an alternative diesel locomotive in case of unavailability.
Should you wish to cancel your booking you should email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than eight weeks before the date of the course and a refund will be made, less a £10 administration charge.
Should you need to cancel within that eight week period, we will only make a refund subject to our being able to find someone else to take your place.
Participants must be moderately physically fit and capable of entering a locomotive cab from track level. Participants must also have good vision and hearing ability (glasses and hearing aids are acceptable) and must wear stout shoes or safety footwear. Participants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Our Diesel Courses operate on days which are otherwise non-operational but where possible we will provide light refreshments on the train (except the DMU) as well as packed lunches for those who have pre-ordered them.