The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway PLC is in the process of rebuilding and restoring a former Great Western mainline as a heritage railway. The empty trackbed from Broadway to Cheltenham was purchased in 1981 and reconstruction commenced. Since then, 13 miles of track, four stations and associated facilities have been lovingly recreated for public enjoyment.
- Creating Toddington as the prime visitor gateway for the railway.
- Operating regular time-tabled public passenger trains.
- Establishing Toddington as the motive power centre, complete with new locomotive shed.
- Establishing Winchcombe at the permanent way and the carriage and wagon centre of the railway.
- Operating race day trains to the refurbished Cheltenham Race Course station.
- Creating a visitor attraction with both nostalgic and educational content.
- Encouraging a friendly attitude in our staff when dealing with other volunteers as well as the public.
- Fostering a "small country station" environment at Winchcombe.
- Building thirteen miles of first class track capable of carrying the heaviest locomotives at 25 mph.
- Signalling our station layouts using semaphore signals.
In addition to that list of large achievements there are countless smaller items such as:
- Moving a complete station building from Monmouth to Winchcombe
- Rebuilding Gotherington Halt
- Rebuilding Hayles Abbey Halt
- Rebuilding a second platform at Cheltenham Race Course
- Creating a picnic areas at Winchcombe
Milestones for the future:
- Extension northwards to Broadway.
- Recreating Broadway station.
- Building a carriage shed at Winchcombe to protect our restored coaches.
- Signalling the Broadway extension.
- Upgrade of loco facilities and staff amenities
How is all this achieved?
All this work has been completed by a staff of unpaid volunteers working to professional standards, using revenue generated from our operations and shareholder capital. We need more volunteers and capital to enhance and extend the railway.
Ownership of the Railway
The railway is owned by its shareholders, many of whom are also members of our supporting body (the GWR Trust). The benefits of being a shareholder include:
- Having your say in the way the railway develops.
- Attending the Annual General Meeting, to hear first hand the current progress of the line.
- Travel benefits which increase with increasing numbers of shares purchased.
The travel benefits for shareholders are as follows:
- 100 - 499 shares - Three free round trip vouchers per year
- 500 - 999 shares - Four free round trip vouchers a year
- 1000 - 2999 shares - Five free round trip vouchers a year
- 3000 - 4999 shares - Free unlimited travel for share holder and two accompanying guests
- 5000 or more shares - Free unlimited first class travel for shareholder and three accompanying guests
How do I apply?
Click here to download an application form for ordinary shares, print it, complete it and post it to the address on the form.
Or for more information write to:
Buy GWR Shares, GWSR plc, The Railway Station, Toddington, Gloucestershire, GL54 5DT
Or fill in our online form below.
If you would like to buy ordinary shares by paying in regular instalments download and complete this form and post it back to the railway.
A copy of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway, PLC NOTES for SHAREHOLDERS can be downloaded here,