We hope that the sites listed on this will be of interest to the Heritage Railway enthusiast or visitors to the Cotswolds area. This page also contains links to some sites that themselves contain links to the GWSR website - our link exchange.
Please note that the inclusion of these links does not imply any endorsement by the GWSR of the products, services or information offered by these sites. GWSR plc can accept no responsibility for the content or availability of external websites. All links will open in a new window.
UK Heritage Railway links
- UK Heritage Railways - A guide to the entire heritage railway scene in the UK and Ireland.
- The Crewe Heritage Centre - Home of the original APT
- Didcot Railway Centre - The official home of the Great Western Society.
- Epping Ongar Railway - The Epping Ongar Railway Volunteer Society - restoring a line in Essex. Trains now running once again!.
- Mid-Hants Railway (The Watercress Line) - The official site of the Mid-Hants Railway (The Watercress Line) home to Merchant Navy class locomotive 35005 Canadian Pacific.
- North Norfolk Railway - The home of the J15 a recent visitor to the GWR
- Swindon & Cricklade Railway - Wiltshire's only standard-gauge heritage railway and the original home of 7903 Foremarke Hall
- Telford Steam Railway - Located in the West Midlands, 20 miles west of Wolverhampton, Telford Steam Railway is a preserved railway operated by a small and friendly team of volunteers.
- GWR 813 Preservation Fund - Website of the organisation who own and care for ex-Great Western Railway 0-6-0ST locomotive 813
- Icons of Steam - The website of the Icons of Steam collection
- GWR 7202 and 3822 - A website dedicated to ex-GWR heavy freight locomotives 7202 and 3822.
- Southern Locomotives Limited - Southern Locomotives is a company that owns, restores, maintains and operates steam locomotives, primarily from the Southern Railway.
- Great Western Archieve - A fantastic online resource for all things Great Western and Western Region
- Everything GWR - Celebrating the Great Western Railway from 1835 to now
- The Southern e-Group - Everything you want to know about the Southern Railway
- The LNER Encyclopedia - Everything LNER
- The Signalbox - A fascinating site dedicated to railway signalling
- SteamIndex - A compendium of links and articles covering a huge area of railway topics
- Railway Herald - The UK’s first online railway magazine.
- The Railway Magazine - The website of the long running magazine.
- Rail Associations London - Co-ordinating railway societies and preservation groups in London and the South East.
- British Heritage Railways - An Independent Guide to Britain’s Preserved Railways
- National Preservation forum - The premier discussion forum for heritage railway enthusiasts and volunteers.
- The Fairford Branch Line - A fascinating illustrated history of the line from Oxford to Fairford
- Narrow Gauge Pleasure - A site dedicated to narrow gauge railways in Great Britain.
- Railway Performance Society - Railway Performance Society
- Steam Tube - part of the Rail Tube Network - The Rail Tube Network is a place where members can upload their railway photos, video clips and full length creations to share with others.
- Traintees - A company selling t-shirts with railway themes including shed codes and station totems. The shop at Toddington will be carrying a range.
- Visit the Cotswolds - Official tourism website for the Cotwolds.
- Visit Broadway - This site aims to ensure you miss nothing on your trip to Broadway and the Cotswolds with information on accommodation, places to eat and drink, things to do, attractions, shopping, how to get to Broadway Cotswolds and much more.
- Broadway-Cotswolds - The official guide for locals and visitors.
- Tewkesbury - Tewkesbury Borough Council tourist site.
- Winchcombe - News and information about Winchcombe.
- Winchcombe Welcomes Walkers - the leading site for information on walking, accommodation and shops in and around Winchcombe.
- Cotswolds Info - Comprehensive tourism and business information for the Cotswolds area.
- About Britain - The premier online guide to where to go in Great Britain.
- StaySouthWest - A comprehensive guide to accommodation in the South West of England with hotels, self catering holiday cottages, bed & breakfasts, hostels, holiday parks and camping and caravan sites in Gloucestershire and across the region.
- Explore Gloucestershire - The ideal family friendly website to help you find out what’s on, where to go, stay and eat in Gloucestershire!
- Dog Friendly Cotswolds - Where to stay and where to go with your dog in the Cotswolds.
- Cheltenham Hotels - A one-stop guide to hotels, b&bs, self-catering accommodation in the Cheltenham area.
- Great Days Out - A simple guide to days out in Gloucestershire and elsewhere.
- Quoakle Days Out and Leisure in Gloucestershire - A graphical guide to days out in Gloucestershire.
Cotswolds Attractions links
- Batsford Arboretum - The Cotswolds secret garden
- Berkeley Castle - Berkeley Castle has been lived in by the same family for over 900 years. It is where history has been made. Where Edward II was murdered, where the Barons of the West gathered before Magna Carta and where Queen Elizabeth I hunted and played bowls.
- The Wilson - Cheltenham - Has an outstanding permanent collection including fine art, ceramics, jewellery, furniture, local history
- Corinium Museum - Experience life as a Roman. Marvel at the stunning mosaics. Dress as a Roman soldier. Explore their engineering and artistry.
- The Edward Jenner Museum - Housed in his former home the museum fills in the biography of the man.
- Mill Dene Garden - Mill Dene Garden has become the passion of Wendy Dare's life.
- Owlpen Manor - Owlpen has long been recognised as one of England's most romantic early manor houses. In 2006 it was voted one of six finalists in the Country Life - Savills award for "England's Favourite Manor House".
- Painswick Rococo Garden - A fascinating step back to the flamboyant English Rococo period
- Snowshill Lavender - Family farm offering essential oils, bath products, teas, and soaps.
- Snowshill Manor - A National Trust property housing a truly eclectic collection
- Sudeley Castle - Illustrated history of this splendid 15th-century castle laid waste by Oliver Cromwell, but restored in the Victorian period
- Stanway House & Fountain - historic house and the highest gravity fed fountain in the world. Near Toddington.
- Westonbirt Arboretum - The National Arboretum
- Woodchester Mansion - Home of The Woodchester Mansion Trust, one of Britain’s leading independent conservation charities.
- WWT Slimbridge Wetland Centre - A great place to watch the wonderful birds and wildfowl, which visit or make their home at Slimbridge.
- Winchcombe Country Show - Held every August Bank Holiday Monday near to Winchcombe Station.
- Crofton Beam Engines - The homepage of the Crofton pumping station on the Kennet and Avon Canal
- Railholiday - Self-catering accommodation in Cornwall for the rail enthusiast - in converted railway vehicles!
- Routes International - “People Transportation” - a huge Canadian-based website for world-wide travel (including heritage railways!)
- Lets go with the children - Guide books listing places to go and things to do for families.
- Canine Partners - Training assistance dogs for people with disabilities. The GWSR provides facilities to help with familiarising the dogs with railway travel.