World War II Evacuation Experience
Please contact us about reservations for 2021 and 2022. Following a very successful trial in September 2020, we are hoping to run 'Covid-compliant' WWII Experience Days.
A special opportunity for KS 2 Primary pupils to experience a World War II evacuation. The children will be taken back in time to 1940 for a glimpse into wartime life.
"You made it feel like we were being evacuated....it actually felt like we were in an evacuee's shoes"
The fully escorted evacuation experience will include a steam train journey to the 'safety of the countryside' plus (subject to availability):
- Presentation by Museum Education staff in role, showing a range of wartime items.
- Firefighting practice.
- Air raid experience including short stay in 'air raid shelter'.
- A short talk by a real WWII evacuee with the opportunity to ask questions ( or a video, subject to availability).
- 1940s picnic lunch (appropriate food to be provided by school/parents).
- Final allocation of the children to their 'farming occupations and accommodation'.
Pupils and staff should come dressed in 1940s style costume with an identity label, gas mask box, suitcase or pillow-case for belongings, and suitable wartime lunch.
Assembly At Winchcombe Station.
- Dates for 2021/22: Some Tues, Weds, Thurs in May, June, July, September and October; please contact email@example.com for WWII dates
- Start Time: 09.30
- Finish Time: 14.00 approx
- 2021 Cost: £12 per pupil. One free adult per 10 pupils, with additional adults £12 each
- Group Size: Normally a minimum of 20 pupils up to 33 pupils approx
- Availability: Up to 3 Groups per day
- Booking: Contact School Bookings Coordinator at Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or telephone GWR Enquiries 01242 621405 and ask for a call-back from the School Bookings Coordinator
You can download this information as a pdf by clicking here.
For your visit to the railway, teachers will need to conduct a Risk Assessment. For your convenience, we have prepared a standard risk assessment form which will help you with this process. To download it, click here. We have also prepared a Covid-specific risk assessment which we can provide if requested.
If any of your pupils have disabilities you may wish to look at our Accessibility page.
A joint initiative between the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway and the Wilson Museum