Diesel Driver Experience Courses
Trainee at the controls of a Class 73
Our 2019 courses offer a driving experience over the full 14 miles of our newly opened line from Broadway to Cheltenham.
Our popular fleet of powerful main line diesel locomotives includes Class 26, Class 45, Class 47 and the ever popular Class 37.
Each course will take six participants, who will each be able to drive between Broadway and Cheltenham Racecourse or vice versa. On your course you will be hauling a train of up to eight Mk I carriages.
Each participant can be accompanied by up to two guests at a cost of £20 each who may travel in the train during the course.
Please note that participants must be over 18 yrs and all guests must be over the age of 16 yrs.
Your Driver Experience Day starts at 0900 at Toddington Station and finishes there at approximately 1700.
Course fee £425.00 per person.
The course includes:
- Full English breakfast on arrival in the Flag & Whistle Café for participants and guests
- Explanation of the day's events and safety briefing
- Three round trips between Broadway and Cheltenham, a total of 84 miles, during which you will drive your diesel locomotive over approximately 14 miles of the line, hauling up to eight heritage railway carriages, under expert supervision. You will also act as second man for a further 14 miles.
- Packed lunches for participants and guests
- Signal Box and Diesel Loco Shed tour (participants only)
- Free year's membership of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway for the participant, including member's benefits (worth up to £20)
- Free GWSR Guide Book
- Commemorative certificate signed by your driver
|Course Date||Motive Power|
|Friday 12th July||
|Friday 13th September||
Click on the loco pictures above to find out more about them.
Trainees waiting their turn to experience the Class 37
Booking and Terms & Conditions
Your tickets will be sent to you in the post shortly after you book. No discounts will be given on Driver Experience courses. Diesel Driver Experience courses need to be fully booked in order to run.
We reserve the right for operational reasons to vary the dates of these experiences and, should this become necessary, we will contact you by phone or e-mail. If we have no suitable alternative dates we will refund your payment in full. We also reserve the right to replace the advertised locomotive with an alternative diesel locomotive in case of unavailability.
Should you wish to cancel your booking you should email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than eight weeks before the date of the course and a refund will be made, less a £10 administration charge.
Should you need to cancel within that eight week period, we will only make a refund subject to our being able to find someone else to take your place.
Participants must be moderately physically fit and capable of entering a locomotive cab from track level. Participants must also have good vision and hearing ability (glasses and hearing aids are acceptable) and must wear stout shoes or safety footwear. Participants must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Our courses operate on days which are otherwise non-operational, but the Flag & Whistle Café at Toddington will be open for your breakfast and packed lunch. Where possible we will also provide light refreshments on the train. The shop at Toddington station may also be open for a short while during your visit, subject to staffing.