Join us for our Cambrian Weekend. You will have the opportunity to ride behind 7820 Dinmore Manor and 75014 Braveheart, and relive moments from history.
A little of the history - Both engines at the end of steam days were allocated to Shrewsbury shed and worked over the former Cambrian lines to the Welsh coast. This was a challenging line. Braveheart 75014 was at Shrewsbury from the end of 1964 until its withdrawal in December 1966. Dinmore Manor was at Shrewsbury from 1963 until withdrawn in November 1965,but remained at the shed until May 1966. Shrewsbury shed was variously 84G and 89A, becoming 6D in March 1964 with transfer of the Cambrian lines from Western Region to Midland Region control. The shed closed to steam in 1967. There were at one time, over 100 engines allocated here.
Both locomotives worked both goods and passenger services over this tortuous line which, because of axle weight and loading gauge limits, locomotives larger than a Manor or Standard class 4 were prohibited. The steeply graded line pushed these engines to their limits particularly on the fearsome 1 in 52 to Talerddig summit. The best-known service on the line was the Cambrian Coast Express (Paddington-Aberystwyth and Pwllheli). This service was normally handled by a ‘Castle’ class 4-6-0 from Shrewsbury. From there the train was double-headed by two Duke class4-4-0s or latterly a Manor class or a Standard 4 4-6-0 for the non-stop run to Welshpool. Heavily loaded trains were still sometimes double headed.
Steam haulage of the Cambrian Coast Express ended in 1965, Dinmore Manor having the honour of hauling the last regular steam hauled service. The last timetabled standard-gauge steam-hauled passenger service from Aberystwyth was on 4th March 1967 in the charge of sister engine to 75014, no. 75033 which was specially cleaned for the occasion and proudly carried the ‘Cambrian Coast Express’ headboard.
Picture above shows Standard class 4 4-6-0 no 75014 which is currently a short-term resident on the GWSR and now named ’Braveheart‘, tackling the Talerdigg bank on the Cambrian line with a Barmouth-Birmingham service in August 1964. Picture courtesy Colour-Rail.
2 Adults and 3 Children
4 Adults and 3 Children
No 21 "Mavis" has been stored at Toddington for some while, awaiting refurbishment. It is privately owned.
Preserved in 1987 by the Paignton & Dartmouth Railway, moved to the GWSR by March 2004.
DMU / Railcar
Cars W51360 and W51372 are owned by Cotswold Diesel Railcar Limited . W51360 is currently the 'spare' for our 117 set and W51372 is awaiting restoration.
DMU / Railcar
W55003 is a Class 122 'Bubblecar' owned by Cotswold Diesel Railcar Limited and is currently undergoing refurbishment plus the creation of wheelchair-friendly accommodation at Toddington.
DMU / Railcar
Normally comprising cars W51405 (DMS), W59510 (TCL), W51363 (DMBS), this Class 117 unit was purchased in 2011 by Cotswold Diesel Railcar Limited and is now running regular services from Toddington.
'John' has been on the Railway for over 30 years. The loco is presently undergoing restoration including the construction of a virtually new boiler.
20228 (D8128) - Class 20 Diesel Electric Locomotive. 20228 is privately owned and is now a permanent resident on the GWR. 20228 moved to the GWR in 2020 and should become serviceable during the 2022 season.
372 arrived at Toddington in October 1999 and since then has been used extensively as yard shunter.
D2280 arrived on the GWSR in 2018 and is now part of the shunting fleet at Toddington. It is privately owned . There is a Bachman model of this locomotive available in BR green.
11230 arrived on the GWSR in 2003 and is now working at Toddington with its restoration almost complete.
D2182 is usually to be seen shunting at the carriage works at Winchcombe
47376 is owned by The Brush Type 4 Fund and is a permanent resident on the GWR. The Brush Type 4 Fund was formed in 1992 and, in November 2002, bought No 47376. The loco was transported to the GWR in 2003 after receiving a replacement engine at Ashchurch from sister loco No 47295.
The Brush Type 4 Fund was formed in 1992 with the aim of preserving a Series Parallel Class 47, after 2 years of fund raising 47105 was bought from Crewe in January 1994.
A class 45/1 Diesel Electric Locomotive. This locomotive is owned by The Cotswold Mainline Diesel Group and is a permanent resident on the GWR. It first ran in preservation during the 2013 Heritage Diesel Weekend.
A class 37/0 Diesel Electric Locomotive, is owned by The Growler Group and is a permanent resident on the GWR. 37215 was preserved in 1994 and was returned to working order in 1998.
A class 37/0 Diesel Electric Locomotive, is owned by four individuals who are both Growler Group members and active working members of the GWR diesel department and is a permanent resident on the GWR. 37248 came to Toddington in 2010 and has undergone an extensive refurbishment including the provision of steam heating and a return to BR green.
A class 26 Diesel Electric Locomotive. This locomotive is owned by The Cotswold Mainline Diesel Group and is a permanent resident on the GWR. 26043 ran for the first time in preservation during the 2013 Heritage Diesel Weekend.
A privately owned and is a permanent resident on the GWR. 24081 was preserved in 1981 and has remained operational throughout its life in preservation. Its bogie refurbishment is now complete and the loco is fit for service.
A class 20 Diesel Electric Locomotive. 20137 is privately owned and is a permanent resident on the GWR. 20137 was purchased from British Rail at Wigan in 1994 and moved to the GWR. 20137 was returned to working order in 1995.
A BR Standard Class 4 mixed traffic locomotive, built 1956. Restoration started.
A '2884' class heavy freight locomotive, built 1942. Owned by Dinmore Manor Locomotive Limited, it is at Toddington for its 10-year overhaul.
A '28xx' class heavy freight locomotive, built 1918. This locomotive is owned by The 2874 Trust Limited and it is slowly being restored from 'Barry Scrapyard' condition.
A '28xx' class heavy freight locomotive, built in 1905. This locomotive is owned by Cotswold Steam Preservation Limited and, after a 29 year restoration, is one of the GWR's resident locomotives.
Peninsular & Oriental S. N. Co.
35006 Peninsular & Oriental S. N. Co. is a Southern Railway rebuilt Merchant Navy Class 4-6-2 steam locomotive. It was built at Eastleigh locomotive works in December 1941 and given the Southern Railway number 21C6.
Although every inch a Great Western Railway thoroughbred, No. 7903 Foremarke Hall was one of the 79XX series, in the last batch of the Modified Hall class built at Swindon in 1949 under BR auspices.