What's happening where
The main centre of events will be at Toddington, the railway's headquarters and location of our engine sheds and maintenance facilities.
Things happening at Toddington over the weekend will include:
- Diesel Shed Open Day and exhibition (with the opportunity to get close-up to a locomotive undergoing overhaul)
- Model railway layouts in the diesel shed
- Sales stands and stalls (inside the shed and outside too)
- A chance to ride on the North Gloucestershire Narrow Gauge railway which will be operating continuously during the day. Ideal for the kids!
- An evening train on Saturday 30th offering a 2 hour round trip of the line departing at 18:45 from Toddington (with a free bus connection to Cheltenham main line station) and arriving back at 20:35.
- The 'Flag and Whistle' cafe selling a range of hot home-cooked food, snacks and drink. Fast food available outside adjacent to the platforms.
- Beer tent
Our diesel shed will once again be throwing open its doors to visitors, and as well as the model railways and sales stands, you will be able to see the following:
- Get up close to class 24 no.5081 undergoing a bogie overhaul and 47 no.47105 under going a heavy general overhaul. See the work required to maintain our locomotives in tip top condition. You will also be able to access the driver's cab 47105.
- A series of 'how it works' exhibits, showing you what makes our diesel locomotives actually work including the big items such as the power unit (the diesel engine itself), the main generator and various other important items that go together to make it all work.
A full site plan for Toddington will be available soon.
Winchcombe is a great place to break your journey as it is a crossing loop on our largely single track railway, it provides the opportunity to view trains passing each other through the station with all the hustle and bustle that goes with it. There are lots of other reasons for stopping here too.
- As well as our popular Coffee Pot Café, for the first time this year we have a griddle on Platform 1 each day of the Gala providing hot dogs, burgers, bacon baps etc
- There's a pleasant, grassed picnic area adjacent to platform 2.
- Our Carriage and Wagon workshops, who restore and maintain all the coaches and wagons used on the railway, will be open for visitors to inspect the work that goes on, and to see the range of rolling stock we have.
Trains will operate between Toddington and Winchcombe every 40 minutes throughout the day.
Our largest car park is available at Cheltenham Racecourse station, together with access to a frequent bus service into Cheltenham town centre and Cheltenham national rail station at the entrance to the racecourse site ('Racecourse Park and Ride'). We will also be providing a free vintage bus service direct from the Racecourse station to the national rail station at the start and end of the day.
Some refreshments will be available at Cheltenham Racecourse station.
On Sunday, the locomotive off most arriving trains will spend time here (minimum 40 minutes) before working the next service back to Toddington and will provide the opportunity for you to visit the driver's cab (subject to safety and operational requirements) and be a 'Driver for a Tenner'.....
Driver for a Tenner – Sunday 30th July only
Supervised Driver for a Tenner sessions are also available at Cheltenham Racecourse station in between train departures using the locomotive awaiting its next train (see times below). These will be payable locally at Cheltenham Racecourse station on the platform. Just turn up and pay your £10. 2 participants can be taken at a time and each will be able to drive the locomotive one way along the full length of the 13 coach platform.
Please note that places will be strictly limited on a first come first served basis as the time available is limited by the constraints of the timetable.