travelling on the gwsr
GWSR encourages everyone to respect fellow passengers and our volunteers by wearing face coverings whilst inside our shop, buffet cars and cafes (when not eating or drinking), and in open carriages on the trains when they are busy. Your co-operation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
- We are offering our most requested tickets for pre-booking, up to 8:30 on the day of travel, for printing at home, or showing on a smartphone.
- If you require the tickets sent to your home, please allow 10 clear working days due to possible post delays.
- Please note the full range of our tickets including the tickets show below will be available to purchase on the day of travel from our booking offices .
- Travel over the full line
- Boarding is available at all Stations allowing you to tailor your journey around what you wish to see and do, total flexibility to enjoy the full 14 miles of line. Including the ability to leave the train at the major stations, Cheltenham, Winchcombe, Toddington & Broadway, and rejoin a later train to continue your journey.
- To help plan your journey please see the appropriate Timetable.
Northern and Southern Limited;Limited on time? - why not explore just half of the line?
- Travel up to 14 miles.
- Start your journey from either Broadway or Cheltenham racecourse.
- Refreshments available from our period Coffee Pot café
- The Northern Limited Broadway to Winchcombe and return.
- The Southern Limited Cheltenham racecourse to Winchcombe and return
Broadway & Cheltenham Single Tickets
- Wish to spend the day in Broadway or Cheltenham and make your own way back?
- Single trip tickets are available; for train departure times please check the Timetable.
- If an electronic ticket has been selected it will be emailed to you, and will be checked during the day, so please make sure you fill in your correct email address when you book to ensure you receive your tickets.
- Boarding from Broadway, Cheltenham racecourse, or Toddington
- For those people wishing to do a round trip from Toddington to Broadway or reverse; Toddington to Cheltenham or reverse, click the button below to purchase.
- If you are planning to get off and on again remember to keep an eye on our Timetable.
- Please remember to keep you tickets on with you at all times.
- Keep an eye out for our "Early-Bird" service from Cheltenham racecourse
If you are showing any of the symptoms below or have been in contact with a person with Covid-19 within the last 14 days, then please do not attempt to travel with us:
- Shortness of breath
- Loss of taste or smell
Contact our bookings team on 01242 621905 or 01242 621904 (Mon- Fri 09:00 to 16:00) who will reschedule your booking at a later date free of charge.
See the new calendar and timetables on our website.
A selection of our most popular tickets is available to purchase on-line, these and all other ticket options will be available from our booking offices on the day of travel. Please be aware the purchase of a ticket does not guarantee a seat.
Historically we have sent tickets by post. We will continue to do this if you require a hard copy ticket, but you will need to allow 7 days to ensure safe arrival. In this case we will add a £1 handling charge to the price.
You will however be able to book on-line (up to 08:30 on the day of travel) and print the tickets at home or shown us on your mobile device if you prefer not to print it out. As with a physical or printed ticket it must be shown upon request. Please note, it MUST be the E-TICKET itself shown to our staff and not the email which provides the link to it.
You can view our running dates and timetables here.
Hayles Abbey Halt and Gotherington Station will not be available for use by passengers.
We also ask all visitors to abide by any guidelines regarding wearing of masks etc that may be in place at the time of your visit and to be mindful of other people's sensibilities.
Tickets will be available to purchase, on the day of travel, from our booking offices at Cheltenham Racecourse, Winchcombe, Toddington or Broadway. Please be aware the purchase of a ticket does not guarantee a seat.
We will be running seven-carriage trains, the majority of which will be open carriages which will include limited disabled areas, and catering facilities. There are no allocated seats, though certain areas may be marked off as reserved for Group Bookings. We ask all visitors to respect any area marked as reserved.
We are delighted to be welcoming you, our members, and shareholders, back to our railway. You can use your valid Members' and Shareholders' Ticket Vouchers to purchase tickets, on the day of travel from the Booking Office.
All other valid vouchers will also be accepted at the booking offices these include: HRA passes, GWSR Gift Vouchers and VIP passenger Vouchers.
If you need to bring a carer or essential companion to accompany you as a visitor with disabilities, you can now book a carers ticket at the time of booking, free of charge.
Toilets will be available on the trains, but it is not possible to access them in a wheelchair. However, trains will stop at Toddington, Cheltenham Racecourse and Broadway where fully accessible toilets are available.
The GWSR is committed to making everyone's visit to the railway as enjoyable as possible. To this end all of our stations (with the exception of Gotherington and Hayles Abbey Halt which are accessible only on foot) have good access for passengers with disabilities. Although the platform at Cheltenham Racecourse is normally accessed via a long slope which some visitors might find difficult, we now have a flat accessible entrance from the car park available on request.
Our train staff will be happy to provide a ramp at our main stations to enable both wheelchair passengers and anyone who cannot climb the carriage steps to board the trains. Please be aware that the maximum width of wheelchair that can be accommodated on these ramps is 79cm / 2ft 7in).
Occasionally it is necessary for trains to use platforms that are normally accessed via a footbridge. If you have problems using a footbridge a member of the station staff will be more than happy to show you where you can cross the line via the barrow crossing at the end of the platform.
Our trains have carriages which have been specially adapted for wheelchair passengers and their helpers. The spaces in these adapted carriages are allocated on a first come, first served basis and so availability cannot be guaranteed.
We have accessible toilets at all stations (with the exception of Gotherington and Hayles Abbey) and there are dedicated parking spaces for the disabled available at Toddington and Cheltenham Racecourse stations. There are also a very small number of Blue Badge parking spaces at Broadway Station
There is no storage space at the stations and very limited storage space on the trains so, if possible, please carry young children onto the train and leave pushchairs and buggies in your car.
Two well-behaved dogs per party can travel for a flat-rate fare in standard class carriages and compartments (not First Class) but they are not allowed on the seats or tables, and not allowed on any dining trains or in buffet cars. Assistance dogs travel free of charge. For further information click here. Please note, there may be additional restrictions in place at certain of our special events - please see the Travelling with a Dog page on the website.
There are spaces on our trains suitable for carrying bicycles. However, the available room is limited and often has to accommodate other items such as wheelchairs, pushchairs and mobility scooters. It is available on a first come, first served basis at the discretion of the train guard, and we cannot guarantee availability on every train. Up to 3 bikes maximum can be carried on a train at any one time, subject to priority for the available space always being given to wheelchair users. Such items must not block corridors, entrance vestibules or doorways.
We are able to offer on-train catering, so our famous bacon baps will be available on some trains along with light refreshments and hot and cold drinks.
Catering facilities are available at Cheltenham Racecourse, Winchcombe, and Broadway, selling light refreshments, hot and cold drinks, and ice-creams.
There is also a franchised café at Toddington.
Toilets will be open at each station and sanitiser will be available as you enter and leave each toilet block; all visitors are encouraged to use it and follow the guidelines regarding handwashing.
The shop at Toddington is now open for customers to visit; it will open 20 min before the first train leaves and will close when the last train leaves Toddington. (Please be aware it will not be open when the last train arrives back to Toddington at the end of the day) If you are on the 15:00 please visit the shop before you start your trip to avoid disappointment.
We will continue to carry out overnight fogging which sprays disinfectant directly onto hard surfaces, killing viruses and bacteria.
All passengers are asked to remove all rubbish and any item of personal belongings that they may have brought with them. Bags can be obtained by asking the TTI or Guard if required.
You can view our running dates and timetables here.
Please note that our services will be subject to any further changes in UK Government policy in response to the Covid-19 situation.