Lots of things for Children to do at the GWR
Throughout 2018 we have many special events for children. These include:
- 2nd April - on Easter Monday we are running the Easter Eggspress. An eggciting combination of steam trains, the Easter Bunny and a host of activities bringing Easter fun for all the family. Make your own Easter bonnet and wear it on your visit. Special 'Broadway Opening' ticket prices apply.
- 12th and 13th May - Cotswold Bricks and Trains Weekend. Organised by the Southern Lego Train Club. This will be a great opportunity for you to experience the thrill of building models out of small bricks. We have arranged for a 2 day display of models from all around the country - of all shapes and sizes - there will be lots to see and do. There will be a small entry charge to this display.
- 23rd and 24th June - Day Out With Thomas. Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends visit the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. Please note that entry to the site will be by ticket only. There is no free entry.
- 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th August - Teddy Bear Tuesdays. Join the Teddy Bears at Winchcombe Station. Bring your own favourite Teddy Bear and your picnic. Normal prices apply.
- 15th and 16th September - Day Out With Thomas. Thomas the Tank Engine and his friends are back at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway. Please note that entry to the site will be by ticket only. There is no free entry.
- 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th, 15th, 16th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd & 24th December - Santa Specials. Two great ways to visit Santa: either from Cheltenham Race Course by steam train all the way to Winchcombe (or the North Pole!) through the long tunnel, and visit Santa and his elves in his grotto; or from Toddington Station by an early 1960's diesel rail car with Santa and his young elves on board the train, spending lots of time sitting with each family. Pre-booking essential - there are no on-the-day tickets available.
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway is the perfect place for children to spend the day. There are lots of things to do in addition to the special events happening through the year.
It's a full day out! Throughout the year, we run at least two different trains every day. This means children can delight in the thrill of a heritage steam train and on the same day travel - perhaps sitting behind the driver - in one of our 1960's diesel rail cars. Two different experiences - all for the price of one rover ticket.
There are toys for sale at our two Gift Shops at Toddington and Cheltenham Race Course Railway Stations and why not visit the Flag and Whistle Cafe at Toddington Station or the Coffee Pot Tea Room at Winchcombe Station for a refreshing hot or cold drink and something to eat. Or indeed have something on the steam train from our buffet car.
As part of the day out, ask for a copy of our free children's quiz at the station booking office when you buy your tickets and even buy a genuine I-Spy book of our railway in the shop or on the train.
On a nice day, bring your own picnic to eat at one of our picnic tables.
As an added bonus, all children under 5 years of age travel free and our standard children's rover ticket is only £7. Which means that, for very little money, children can have a complete day out at the railway.
The Toddington Narrow Gauge Railway runs on certain days - at extra cost - click here for more details.
And there is a model railway at Winchcombe station which is open most weekends and special event dates. Click here for more details.
The GWR also welcomes school groups of all sizes and all ages. We can provide fantastic learning experiences for children from reception classes through to those studying for their GCSE exams. Click here for more information about school group visits.