What to See and do
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway is an ideal day out for the family, with lots to do for young and old alike.
Great value for money…
- See our ticket prices here including reduced fares for Seniors, Children and Families (2 adults and up to 3 children),
- Buy an All-day Rover ticket and you can travel with us all day at no extra charge
- Kids under 5 travel free (maximum of 4 children under 5 years of age for every adult or senior citizen)
- Well behaved dogs travel for a flat-rate fare in standard class carriages (not First Class) but they are not allowed on the seats or tables, and not allowed on any dining trains or in buffet cars
- Lots of free parking at Toddington and Cheltenham Race Course Stations
- One carer may travel free with any fare paying registered disabled person
There's so much to see and do…
- Steam train and diesel railcar rides
- Return trip of 28 miles
- Small displays of railway memorabilia
- Great views from the diesel railcar and an opportunity to get up close to the driver
- Large Flag & Whistle tea room at Toddington
- Delightful 1950s style Coffee Pot tea room at Winchcombe
- Buffet car on most steam trains
- Static vehicle exhibits
- Discovery Coach at Winchcombe
- Authentic Great Western Railway stations
- Have-a-go signalbox at Toddington
- Souvenir shops at Toddington and Cheltenham Race Course stations, including lots of children's gifts and a huge selection of books
- Children's play area at Toddington Station
- Locomotive yard viewing area at Toddington
- Picnic areas at Toddington and Winchcombe
- Free quiz sheets for children at each station
- Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway's own "I Spy" book available at retail outlets
- Guide Book giving lots of information about the line - only £3 from any of our retail outlets
- "Railway Rambles" - a publication giving 12 walks that start and end at one of our stations. Only £3 from any of our shops
- Free heritage trail explaining the history of Toddington station
- Lots of Special Events through the year - see here for 2019 events
- See the magnificent Stanway Viaduct (almost 50 feet high with 15 arches) and travel through the dark and mysterious Greet tunnel (look out for the ghost!)
- Local walks in the Cotswolds (see our local area maps on sale in our station shops)
Suggestions for planning a family day out are here.
And a guarantee from us:
Heritage Railways use refurbished equipment, and very occasionally we have technical problems which disrupt the planned timetable. These can be caused by locomotive, rolling stock, signalling, staffing or permanent way issues and may result in the line being blocked. We at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway will always put safety first and will also endeavour to minimise the disruption resulting from a technical failure, and we will communicate with our passengers about it. Nevertheless, we recognise that such problems can spoil the day out for visitors to our railway. We therefore issue this guarantee for 2019.
If we encounter a technical problem on a normal operating day (special events excluded) resulting in a train being cancelled or delayed by more than an hour, passengers can claim a replacement ticket. Just send us your ticket together with your name and address and tell us the day, date and time the failure occurred, and we will post you a replacement ticket. The replacement ticket must be used within 6 months of the occurrence of the timetable disruption.
All photos by Jack Boskett.